Meet the EYC19 Finalists: Perugia
November 2, 2016 - EYC
Stay tuned and read all about the 5 finalists for European Youth Capital 2019. Once a week you will find one-page summaries from each of the finalists for EYC 2019 written in their own words – Amiens, Derry Strabane, Manchester, Novi Sad & Perugia. The winner will be announced November 16th 2016.
Perugia is a medium-sized historical Italian city with 166.119 inhabitants. Its history, culture and hospitality attracts visitors from all around the world. It is an international youth city thanks to the presence of the two main universities (State and for Foreigners) and several high educational institutions. The city provides a positive environment with a lively urban culture for young people, students, and big and small youth organisations working on the territory, that stimulates the self-empowerment of youngsters. Important steps have been taken during EYC2017 and EYC2018 processes, especially at regional level, such as the establishment of the Umbria Youth Forum (UYF) and the adoption of the Regional Youth Law in 2016. Our logo is built upon the city’s symbol – a fountain that has always been linked to the virtuous idea of transmission and collaboration amongst generations.
PERUGIA: ReGenerating YOUth – We Are, We Dare
It is our message for Perugia EYC2018 that highlights our concept of having a new generation of young Europeans ready to be the main actors of society at all levels.
Our VISION is a ReGenerated city:
– with regenerated spaces, places and people, thanks to financially sustainable, feasible and quality processes;
– where young people are key actors of the present time and are able to create a more sustainable and participated future;
– that is flexible and dynamic, able to innovate education, training and labour market processes and to create social and cultural innovation;
– European-oriented and pluralist, based on cultural and social integration and acknowledgement of European values;
– that encourage exchanges and creates synergy between tradition and the present;
PROGRAMME THEMATIC PRIORITIES AREAS:
Perugia 2019 activities include projects, events, trainings, campaigns, workshops, competitions, festivals, conferences and researches structured on the following 6 main project cross-topics:
- EDUCATION + TRAINING
- EMPLOYMENT + ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- EMPOWERMENT + SOCIAL INCLUSION + PARTICIPATION
- CREATIVITY + CULTURE + ARTS
- INTERCULTURAL + INTERRELIGIOUS + INTERGENERATIONAL DIALOGUE
#PERUGIAFOREYC2019 STATEMENT ON RECENT EVENTS:
The large number of refugee, asylum seeker and migrant flows and deaths – mostly registered in the Mediterranean sea for trying to reach Italy – and the UK referendum (Brexit) result, show that Europe needs innovative solutions to cultivate civic skills and strengthen its social cohesion. We believe that if European policies are not implemented in an efficient and effective way, if these are not widespread and understood at grass-root level, if the logic of theoretical policies and campaigns is not being replaced by concrete changes this may lead to the shattering of the European dream. We, as young people, want to demonstrate our commitment to the European values and come with concrete proposals that can contribute to an open and inclusive European Union. For this reason, we are firmly convinced that taking part for the third time in the EYC process will allow us to transform the city in an inclusive and a youth-friendly place of European avant-garde.