Call for European Youth Capital 2020 Consultant
January 19, 2017 - EYC
DEADLINE FEBRUARY 12th 2017 (23:59 CET), APPLY HERE: link.
The European Youth Forum is seeking a consultant to give expert, independent input into the application process for the European Youth Capital 2020 title. The role of the independent consultant is to assess cities’ applications for the title in all three phases of the competition and to provide the Youth Forum with an overview and assessment on how the applications relate to key criteria for selection.
The ‘European Youth Capital’ (EYC) title is awarded by the European Youth Forum to a European municipality for a period of one year, during which it is given the chance to showcase its youth-related cultural, social, political and economic life and development. The EYC initiative encourages cities to both continue and expand the implementation of new ideas and innovative projects with regard to the active participation of young people in society, and seeks to present a role model for the further development of youth policies in other European municipalities. It aims at strengthening the relationship between the European and local levels, fostering youth participation at the local level by applying common European objectives regarding youth policy, and demonstrates the complementary nature of European, national and local citizenship.
The first European Youth Capital was Rotterdam (the Netherlands) in 2009 followed by Torino (Italy) in 2010, Antwerp (Belgium) in 2011, Braga (Portugal) in 2012, Maribor (Slovenia) in 2013, Thessaloniki (Greece) in 2014, Cluj-Napoca (Romania) in 2015, and Ganja (Azerbaijan) in 2016. The 2017 European Youth Capital is Varna (Bulgaria), which will be followed by Cascais (Portugal) in 2018 and Novi Sad (Serbia) in 2019. The European Youth Forum launched the application process for the EYC 2020 title in December 2016.
Criteria for selection:
The independent, expert consultant should meet the following criteria:
• Strong experience in the implementation of projects related to youth participation at the local/municipal level
• Strong experience in a consultancy role
• Excellent analytic skills
• Ability to write and communicate clearly in English
• Independence from all applicant cities
• Strong motivation to contribute to a project that the Youth Forum sees as a key initiative for improved youth participation in Europe
The tasks of the consultant are as follows:
• Assessment of the applications in the first round (March 2017) based on agreed criteria, and establishment of a draft shortlist of applicants for the high-level, independent EYC selection jury. Development of constructive feedback for all applicant cities based on this assessment.
• Assessment of the five shortlisted cities’ applications in the second round (July 2017), and development of further constructive feedback for all shortlisted cities based on this assessment.
• Assessment of the improved, final applications submitted by the shortlisted cities in the third round (October 2017) and establishment of a draft ranking for assessment by the high-level, independent jury. Development of constructive feedback for all shortlisted cities based on this assessment.
• Participation in the final jury meeting in November 2017 at the European Youth Forum offices in Brussels.
The contract will run from March 1st 2017 to November 30th 2017 inclusive, and will be remunerated with a sum of €8000 (subject to VAT). All tasks will be conducted through online communication, except for the final jury meeting. Travel and accommodation costs for the final jury meeting will be covered by the European Youth Forum.
APPLY (Deadline February 12th 2017 23:59 CET):
To apply, applicants must register on the European Youth Forum’s database and complete the application form here.
You can find out more about the EYC 2020 competition, selection process and full timeline here.
For any further questions, please contact Conor O’Neill (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the European Youth Forum’s Secretariat.