PRESS RELEASE – Change and exchange
May 30, 2014 - Thessaloniki
Change and exchange
WEDNESDAY, 28TH May 2014
The Consumers Protection Center (KEPKA) and the Thessaloniki- European Youth Capital 2014 organize an information campaign for the use of reusable textile bags and there–use of plastic ones by the consumers.
Under the slogan “Change and exchange”, the members of the Consumers Protection Center, from 2 to 6 June 2014, will be at central spots of Thessaloniki asking mostly from young people to exchange their plastic bags with reusable ones.
The program of the action :
- Monday 2 June at 12:00: Ermou street, between Aristotelous and Komninon
- Tuesday 3 June at 12:00: Vas. Irakleiou street, between Aristotelous and Venizelou
- Wednesday 4 Juneat 14:30: K. Melenikou street, between Egnatias and Armenopoulou
- Thursday 5 Juneat 14:30: Ag. Sophias street, between Egnatias and Makenzi King.
- Friday 6 June at 14:30: Broad area at Agora Kapani
Why using again the same bag?
-In the Mediterranean Sea the amount of garbage and especially plastic is really threatening. It is estimated that 500 tons of plastic garbage float on the surface of the Mediterranean.
-The Mediterranean Sea is a closed sea, where water is renewed every 80 to 90 years. This makes it especially vulnerable to contamination and pollution.
-The marinal species that are endangered, due to sea waste, arealready recorded. The harm that is caused by plastic degradation to the food chain of the marinal ecosystem and the threat for the human health is also obvious.
How is the situation in other countries?
-In Italy the use of plastic bag is forbidden by law.
-In Ireland there is a tax on bags (22pences today) since 2002.
-InBelgiumthereisavoluntaryagreementofretail selling in order not to provide or at least to charge the use of plastic bags.
-In Germany and in Denmark there is a charge for bags, from the shops, but it is not predicted by law.
-In addition in many non-EU countries the use of plastic bag is restricted by law or even forbidden.
– InsomeStatesoftheUSA, India, SouthAfrica, NewZealand, Bangladesh there are certain predictions by law or voluntarily that are already applied or in a state of consultation.